My View


After these posts, you might be wondering what my view on the topic of sex in the media is. Well, it is a difficult question, but overall, I think that sex in the media can be a positive thing if done correctly, but it has gone way too far. I consider myself a sex-positive person who believes strongly in freedom of speech and self-expression, but unfortunately, I think the current state of things brings this topic into a negative realm. I know for many people, myself included, the “birds and the bees” conversation was skipped when I was a child. My parents were too uncomfortable with the topic to give it and I am sure hoped that if they raised their children right, the children themselves would understand just to stay away from sex altogether, because they raised “good, well-behaved” children. My mom was extremely religious after all, and while that path was not for me, I think she hoped I would at least take away the abstinence stance from it. While this or tactics of fear may work for a handful of children, it is human nature to be interested in sex and exploring bodies. I got my sexual education first from television, and then later when I became more curious to understand it more, Google. I remember though, being so confused based on just the depictions on television, too uncomfortable with the topic yet to do further research myself. I understood the concept of what sex was, but was left to wonder, what is an orgasm actually? What is involved in getting pregnant? You know, the basic sort of things, nothing really in depth or complicated. Sex on television was depicted mostly as sweaty, unmarried adults, kissing, moaning, and rolling around, seemingly greatly enjoying themselves, only to put their clothes back on and walk away happy and satisfied. If sex in the media is going to continue to be so prevalent (and at this point is there really any “turning back” and becoming more conservative?), it needs to be portrayed in a more realistic way. In and of itself, sex for fun, even between unmarried partners, is not inherently a bad thing, but believing it comes without consequences can be dangerous for young minds.

So, what is the reality of sex education for children who do not receive any at home? Many people and friends I have asked, say that they have gotten the majority of their sexual education from the media. In fact, in the United States, there are 11 states that require absolutely no sexual education in school at all, not even when it comes to HIV, and only just over half, 27 of the 50 states, require both HIV and general sex education, while 39 require at least HIV education. Here is where the statistics get really ugly though. Only 17 of those states require that the information delivered be medically accurate, and only 3 of those 39 states mandate that the education cannot promote religion. 36 of the 50 states allow the option of parental opt-out of sexual education classes completely (“Sex and HIV Education”, 2019). While these are just some statistics, when you combine these with the overabundance of portrayals of carefree, risk-free sex, who can blame young people for not understanding the consequences of their actions and desire for sex.

Considering these statistics, it is easy to see how the media would play a huge roll in children’s sexual education. On television, 83% of the programs teens commonly watched had sexual material, and for every hour, there averaged 6.7 sexually related scenes. At an age where young people are curious and still forming their own ideas of correct adult behavior, it is alarming that just 3% of these encounters portrayed the participants using protection against STDs and pregnancy (Brody, 2006).
Just a bit of education can go a long way, and I believe there needs to be some form of regulation throughout the world regarding media and this topic. The media is an incredibly powerful tool and can be used for good and education, even in programs which are not necessarily educational themselves.


Citations
Brody, J. E. (2006, January 31). Children, Media and Sex: A Big Book of Blank Pages.
Retrieved November 27, 2019, from https://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/31/health/children-media-and-sex-a-big-book-of-blank-pages.html.


Sex and HIV Education. (2019, November 1). Retrieved November 27, 2019, from
https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/sex-and-hiv-education.



Comments